Talia Mae Bettcher, Ph.D. is a Professor of Philosophy at California State University, Los Angeles. She has published articles on transphobia and transphobic violence and she teaches courses on the philosophy of gender, including “Introduction to Transgender Studies” and “Trans/Feminism.” She is the past Director of the Center for Study of Genders and Sexualities at CSULA and is currently Department Chair. She is also a community-based performance artist and she has been actively involved in Los Angeles transgender community and grass-roots organizing for many years.
For Talia’s CV, click here.
- Appearance, Reality, and Gender Deception: Reflections on Transphobic Violence and the Politics of Pretence Violence, victims, and justifications
- A Conversation with Jeanne Córdova
- Evil Deceivers and Make-Believers: On Transphobic Violence and the Politics of Illusion Hypatia: A Journal of Feminist Philosophy
- Feminist Perspectives on Trans Issues Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Full Frontal Morality: The Naked Truth about Gender (with supplemental information) Hypatia: A Journal of Feminist Philosophy
- Gender, identity, theory, and action Gender identity, equity, and violence
- Getting “Naked” in the Colonial/Modern Gender System: A Preliminary Trans Feminist Analysis of Pornography
- “Intersexuality, Transsexuality, Transgender”
- Other “Worldly” Philosophy
- Pretenders to the Throne Archives of Sexual Behavior
- Theorizing Closeness: A Trans Feminist Conversation
- Toward a genuinely intersectional trans feminism | Oxford Handbook
Trapped in the Wrong Theory Signs (Vol. 39, No. 2)
- The Transgender Studies Reader 2
- Trans Identities and First Person Authority You’ve Changed: Sex Reassignment and Personal Identity
- Trans Women and “Interpretive Intimacy” The Essential Handbook of Women’s Sexuality: Diversity, Health, and violence
- Trans Women and the Meaning of “Woman” Philosophy of Sex: Contemporary Readings 6th ed.
- Transphobia Transgender Studies Quarterly 1 (1): 249-251
- Understanding Transphobia: Authenticity and Sexual Violence Trans/Forming Feminisms: Trans-Feminist Voices
- When Selves Have Sex: What the Phenomenology of Trans Sexuality Can Teach About Sexual Orientation Journal of Homosexuality (Spring 2014)
- Without a Net: Starting Points for Trans Stories
Lectures & Talks:
- Transsexualism and Brain Sex | 2013 APA Pacific Division Annual Meeting | March 30, 2013 | Society for Analytical Feminism
- Transphobia – the Basic Denial of Authenticity from Susan Forrest on Vimeo.